Behavioral health and physical health are inter-related and providing behavioral health care in a primary medical care setting can reduce stigma and discrimination, be cost effective and lead to improved patient outcomes.
Did you Know?
- Depression is the third most common reason for a visit to a health center after diabetes and hypertension.
- Suicide is a major public health issue; there is 1 suicide every 15 minutes.
- Children and youth who are bullied are more likely to be depressed, lonely, anxious, and have low self esteem and think about suicide.
- About one in four adults suffers from a mental disorder in a given year.
- Visits to emergency rooms involving the misuse of prescription drugs have doubled in the last five years.